LE NOIR FORGE MUSEUM


LeNoir Forge Museum

The LeNoir Forge was originally built in 1793 by Thomas LeNoir and his brother Simon.
Both were natives of France. They were skilled locksmiths; however the monetary
return for their labor was not as rewarding as hoped and they eventually returned to regular blacksmithing. During this period of history shipbuilding and repair was
flourishing on Isle Madame. The forge produced materials that were used in this
industry. By the end of the 19th century the heyday of wooden sailing ships was over, business dwindled and the forge eventually fell into disrepair.

Le Noir Forge - Blacksmith

Le Noir Forge – Blacksmith

The Isle Madame Board of Trade took on the sponsorship to restore this stone building as a 1967 centennial and municipal project. The forge is a one and half story structure of Acadian proportions. At the time of restoration the north and south walls were practically intact; however, many stones were missing from the east wall. The west wall had to be completely rebuilt.
The LeNoir Forge Museum houses a working forge operated by volunteers, a collection of tools and artifacts that tell some of the stories of the people of Isle Madame. The museum is open weekdays from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm in June.  In July and August, it is open Tuesday to Saturday from 10:00  am to 5:00 pm and Sunday from 1:00 – 5:00pm.  The remainder of the year, the museum is open by appointment.


Join Us on Facebook

Join Us on Facebook